Monday, May 15, 2017

Maths PD Honor 16.5.17

Today my team had development around PACT and how to use it as an assessment tool. For me, this has changed the way I have to think about assessing maths as this tool is not against stages, but against big mathematical ideas. It also uses sets and I have to be really aware of the progressions within each set in order to assess which set each child is working at.

Effective Pedagogy in Mathematics - this resource is about best practice in the world - that is to say that if the 10 ideas are used, then maths lessons will be much more effective.
Book 3, pink numeracy book - has always indicated that mixed ability grouping is best.

Accelerated Learning
Learning in the Fast Lane - book that many are using to inform practice. This book has a list which can be used to make sure our priority learners make accelerated progress.

  • give students who are struggling, problems as well, just as high achieving children get
  • use mixed abilities
  • use talk moves
Positive Norms to Encourage in Maths Class by J BAKER
Need to build culture of making mistakes is fine, no maths anxiety (timed tests)

I think it is best to give mixed ability groups a problem at the beginning of the week, find those who need more help, identify the best strategy, and repeat this throughout the week - and build up the numbers.

How to teach maths as a social activity - you tube video to watch

Capacity Building Series - Special Edition#21 (2011) Ontario

Learning in the Fast Lane by Suzy Rollins 2014
This reading has clear steps for accelerated learning. I will use this in my class. I need to work on building vocabulary - I think we are working in the fast lane and we need to slow down.

Accelerated Learning in mathematics (nzmaths ALiM)

No comments:

Post a Comment